Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Off to Bermuda!

I'm headed out early tomorrow morning for a trip to Bermuda, where I will attend the Society of Early Americanists' biennial conference. I'm looking forward to hearing papers by some great folks as well as doing some historical sightseeing, a little bit of birding and having a mini-vacation in the process. I'll also be giving a paper there on Saturday morning, "The Transatlantic Book Purchases of Union College, 1796-97" (an offshoot of the thesis).

Bermuda's one of those places I've wanted to go for a long time (I think Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" might have something to do with that), so I was really happy to have a paper accepted, which provided a handy excuse for a visit.

Depending on Internet accessibility I may or may not post while I'm away; either way, I'll be back on Sunday afternoon and will at least post the week's links and reviews then (plus pictures).

My travel reading will be:
- Annette Gordon-Reed, The Hemingses of Monticello
- Drew Gilpin Faust, This Republic of Suffering
-
Lynda Mugglestone, Lost for Words: The Hidden History of the OED
-
Colin Woodard, The Republic of Pirates